ELEMENTARY PREPOSITION TEST – 6
ELEMENTARY PREPOSITION TEST – 6
– Can / can’t – Was / were
– Could – Was born
1. Our homework ____ very difficult yesterday, but today it ____ easy.
A) is / is B) was / is C) was / was D) is / was
2. I know that I _____ late 2 days ago, but this time I _____ late.
A) am / were B) am not / am not
C) was / was D) wasn’t / am
3. A: _____ was she born?
B: She _____ born in New Zealand.
A) Where / was B) Where / were
C) When / were D) When / was
4. A: _____ were they late for the meeting?
B: Because they _____ asleep.
A) What / were B) Why / was
C) Why / were D) Why / are
5. The weather _____ nice today, but it _____ nasty yesterday.
A) is / was B) was / is C) is / is D) is / were
6. A: _____ was Mr. Black born?
B: He was born _____ 1963.
A) When / at B) Where / in C) What / in D) When / in
7. The students _____ very tired today.
Because they _____ at a party last night.
A) were / are B) are / was C) are / were D) were / were
8. A: _____ was Jennifer’s job 2 years ago?
B: She _____ a flight attendant.
A) Why / were B) What / was C) Who / was D) Who / were
9. A: _____ is the briefcase?
B: It _____ 200 dollars, but it _____ 100 dollars before.
A) How much / is / was B) How many / is / was
C) How much / was / is D) How much / is / is
10. A: How old _____ you in 1990?
B: I _____ 10, but I _____ 25 now.
A) are / are / was B) were / was / am
C) was / are / were D) were / was / are
11. A: How _____ they after the accident? B: They _____ shocked, but now they _____ better.
A) were / are / were B) were / were / were
C) was / were / are D) were / were / are
12. A: How much _____ the tea cups before?
B: They _____ 10 euros each, they _____ 8 euros now!
A) were / were / are B) were / are / were
C) are / were / were D) are / were / are
13. A: Where _____ they born?
B: They _____ born _____ .
A) were / were / in 1995 B) was / were / in Italy
C) were / were / in Denmark D) was / were / in 1995
14. I _____ play chess _____ I was five.
A) can / when B) could / when
C) could / what D) can / where
15. _____ could you do when you _____ seven.
A) Were / was B) What / was
C) What / are D) What / were
16. A: _____ languages _____ Nicola speak when he _____ a child?
B: 2 languages.
A) How many / could / was B) How much / could / was
C) What / was / could D) What / could / was
17. A: _____ languages could they speak when they _____ teenagers?
B: Italian and Russian.
A) Which / was B) What / were
C) What / was D) How / were
18. My little sister _____ paint pictures alone when she _____ nine, but
she _____ now.
A) could / can / can B) can / was / could
C) couldn’t / was / can D) was / can / could
19. Kim _____ ski 4 years ago, but he _____ ski very well now.
A) could / can B) can / could
C) could / can’t D) couldn’t / can
20. _____ Ben and Jane married ten years ago? A) Was B) Were C) Are D) Is
21. Tim _____ run very well, but I _____ run like him, because I was bad
A) could / couldn’t B) could / could
C) can / could D) can / can
22. I _____ play football well, but I _____ play ice-hockey very well.
A) can’t / can B) could / can’t
C) could / can D) can / could
23. Last year they _____ in Europe, and visited Germany, _____ they
traveled only in Berlin.
A) was / but B) were / but C) were / so D) was / and
24. I _____ born in Amsterdam _____ I live in New York now.
A) was / and B) was / but C) were / and D) were / but
25. She _____ understand English, _____ she can’t speak it.
A) could / and B) can / and C) can / but D) can’t / but
26. I love Netherlands, _____ I came to Amsterdam.
A) and B) however C) for D) so
27. A: _____ you _____ the piano?
B: Yes, _____ .
A) Can / use / I can B) Can / play / I can
C) Can / play / I D) Can / use / *
28. A: _____ of food _____ our cook cook?
B: Italian & French food.
A) What of / can B) Which / can
C) What kind / can D) What / can
29. A: _____ can she _____ the guitar?
B: Very well.
A) How / play B) Why / play C) What / play D) When / play
30. A: _____ can they _____ a computer?
B: In the office.
A) What time / use B) Where / use
C) When / use D) Where / using
31. A: _____ languages can her aunt _____ ?
B: 2 languages.
A) How many / speak B) How much / speak
C) What / use D) What / speak
32. A: _____ languages can Mrs. Brown speak?
B: English & Irish.
A) How B) What C) Why D) Where
33. A: _____ can you cook Italian food for us?
B: On Friday evening.
A) What B) When C) What time D) Why
34. A: _____ can my students come?
B: At 3 in the afternoon.
A) What B) Where C) How D) What time
35. A: _____ can Alison go skiing?
B: On her winter holiday.
A) Where B) Why C) When D) What
36. A: _____ Paul play rugby?
B: No, he can’t. But he can _____ baseball.
A) Can / play B) Can / plays C) Does / play D) Does / play
37. A: _____ can’t you come to the party?
B: Because I have an exam tomorrow.
A) When B) * C) Why D) What
38. Adam _____ ride a motorbike and he _____ drive a car.
A) can’t / can B) can / can C) can / is D) can / can’t
39. Adam _____ use a computer, but he _____ program a computer.
A) is / isn’t B) can / can C) can / can’t D) can’t / can’t
40. Flora _____ drive a car but she _____ ride a motorbike.
A) can / can’t B) is / can’t C) can’t / can’t D) is / can
41. The homework _____ very difficult yesterday.
A) were B) was C) is D) could
42. The children _____ very tired today. They _____ at a party yesterday
A) were / was B) are / were C) was / was D) am / was
43. Hello, everybody! I _____ sorry, I _____ late!
A) am / is B) am / am C) was / was D) am / was
44. Was it hot yesterday?
Yes, it _____ .
A) is B) was C) were D) wasn’t
45. She paints _____ two hours _____ bedtime.
A) at / to B) for / at C) for / until D) until / for
46. Yesterday there was a party _____ my house.
A) at B) in C) for D) on
47. I was _____ a party last night.
A) at B) in C) on D) for
48. I could play chess when I _____ five.
A) am B) were C) was D) is
49. Can I speak _____ you?
A) to B) with C) for D) of
50. The weather _____ beautiful today. But it _____ terrible yesterday.
A) is / were B) is / is C) was / was D) is / was
51. They were _____ England _____ 1998.
A) at / in B) in / in C) at / of D) for / in
52. “Where _____ you born?”
“I _____ born in India.
A) are / am B) were / was C) were / were D) was / were
53. We _____ married when I _____ eighteen and Roger _____ twenty.
A) are / was / was B) are / is / was
C) were / was / was D) are / am / was
54. “Where _____ your sister born?”
“She _____ born in India, too.”
A) were / was B) are / is C) was / was D) was / were
55. “_____ you drive?”
“No, I can’t.”
A) Could B) Are C) Can D) Is
56. Only Sam _____ play the piano.
A) can B) was C) is D) were
57. Nobody _____ play the guitar.
A) can’t B) can C) couldn’t D) isn’t
58. I was _____ Adam’s party _____ Saturday.
A) in / at B) at / on C) in / on D) on / at
59.Tom is _____ the garden _____ his friend Sam.
A) in / with B) in / of C) at / of D) on / with
60. She was _____ the cinema _____ her brother.
A) in / in B) on / of C) at / with D) of / with
61. John lives _____ home _____ his parents.
A) in / with B) at / with C) at / of D) on / with
62. I go _____ work _____ bus.
A) to / by B) at / on C) to / with D) by / to
63. I work _____ 6 a.m. _____ 6 p.m.
A) from / to B) to / at C) at / at D) at / until
64. Look _____ this photo _____ my brother. Isn’t he tall?
A) at / of B) of / on C) in / in D) in / at
65. Queen Elizabeth was born _____ London _____ 1926.
A) at / in B) of / on C) in / in D) on / in
66. “ Can you help me with my homework ?”
“_____ course I can; give it _____ me.”
A) Of / for B) Of / to C) It / at D) For / of
67. “Could she cook?”
“Yes, she _____”
A) can B) is C) could D) was
68. “_____ you cook Italian food?”
“No, I _____ but I love eating it.”
A) Are / am not B) Can / can’t
C) Could / can’t D) Can’t / can
69. Everybody _____ drive a car in my family.
A) was B) can C) is D) are
70. _____ you _____ any other languages?
A) Could / know B) Could / use
C) Can / speak D) Can / speaking
71. “ _____ your friend speak English?”
“No, she _____ .”
A) Is / isn’t B) Can / can’t
C) Could / could D) Can/can
72. He _____ paint pictures when he was just three.
A) can B) could C) is D) are
73. “_____ you in England in 1999?”
“Yes, I _____ .”
A) Could / could B) Are / am
C) Were / was D) Was / were
74. _____ you swim when you were five?
A) Could B) Can C) Do D) Are
75. Where _____ you now?
A) were B) do C) are D) is
76. What month _____ it last month?
A) was B) is C) were D) did
77. _____ your teacher speak English when he was seven?
A) Can B) Could C) Does D) Are