Current Affairs: 11th JANUARY 2023
Odisha Regional Study Point
We Allow the best exam preparation for SSC, RAILWAY ,BANKING, OSSC COMBINED EXAM ,CT,BED,OTET, OSSTET,ASO,RI,AMIN, DECE(IGNOU) In ଓଡ଼ିଆ Language…
Welcome to the ODISHA REGIONAL STUDY POINT Current Affairs website which provides you with the best compilation of the Daily Current Affairs 2023 taking place across the globe: National, International, Sports, Science and Technology, Banking, Economy, Agreement, Appointments, Ranks and Report and General Studies. ORSP has been a fantastic buddy in assisting you in reaching your full potential in terms of knowledge and learning by providing you with the top academic information.
ORSP is one of the most popular Current Affairs website in India for UPSC, SSC, Banking / IBPS, IAS, NTSE, Railways, NDA, CDS, Judiciary, UPPSC, RPSC, BPSC, MPSC, MPPSC, and other state civil services / government job recruitment examinations in India.
Current Affairs is a major part of the exams like UPSC, UPSC CSE, IBPS, SBI, RBI, SSC, Railway, UPPSC, RPSC, BPSC, MPPSC, TNPSC, UKPSC, APPSC, MPSC etc. Many Govt job aspirants have benefited from our Current Affairs website now it’s your turn. This is the best current affairs site to find recent updates on Daily Current Affairs not only for competitive exams but also for interviews and updated with the latest information happening in nation and around the world.
Let us have a look at Today’s Questions:-
1)Cherchera festival is associated with which state?
The correct answer is Chhattisgarh.
- The traditional Cherchera festival was celebrated in Chhattisgarh on 6 January 2023.
- The festival is celebrated on the full moon night of ‘Paush’ Hindu calendar month in the happiness of taking the crops to their homes after cultivation.
- People donate green vegetables along with paddy on this day.
According to mythological belief, on this day Lord Shankar begged from Mata Annapurna.
- The amount donated in Cherchera is spent on public welfare.
- People from every class, including Annadata (Farmers), donate food grains.
- Giving charity is a symbol of generosity and accepting charity is a symbol of destroying ego.
- Chief Minister – Bhupesh Baghel.
- State Animal – Wild water buffalo.
- State Bird – Common hill myna.
- National Parks – Indravati (Kutru) National Park, Kanger Valley
- National Park, Guru
- Ghasi Das (Sanjay) National Park.
- Dams – Gangrel Dam (Mahanadi River), Murrum Silli Dam (Sillari river), Dudhawa Dam (Mahanadi river), Hasdeo Bango Dam (Hasdeo river).
2) Who has been appointed as NASA’s new chief technologist in January 2023?
A. AC Charania
B. Dr Vinaya Prakash Singh
C. Ajay Kumar Srivastava
D. Sujoy Lal Thaosen
The correct answer is AC Charania.
- An Indian-American aerospace industry expert, AC Charania, has been appointed as NASA’s new chief technologist.
- He will serve as principal advisor to Administrator Bill Nelson on technology policy and programmes at the agency’s headquarters in Washington.
- Prior to joining NASA, he served as Vice President of product strategy at Reliable Robotics.
- Recent Appointments:
- Dr Vinaya Prakash Singh will take over the charge of Secretary General of the Asian Pacific Postal Union for a tenure of four years.
- Ajay Kumar Srivastava has been elevated as Managing Director and CEO of Indian Overseas Bank with effect from January 1, 2023, from his current posting as executive director.
- Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Director General Sujoy Lal Thaosen took the additional charge as Director General Border Security Force (BSF).
3)On January 8, 2023, who won the Adelaide International men’s singles title?
A. Roger Federer
B. Novak Djokovic
C. Daniil Medvedev
D. Rafael Nadal
The correct answer is Novak Djokovic.
- Novak Djokovic, on January 8 2023, won the Adelaide International men’s singles title.
- The 21-time Grand Slam winner won the match by defeating America’s Sebastian Korda in a nerve-wracking final.
- Djokovic also equalled Rafael Nadal’s tally of 92 ATP singles titles in the Open Era.
- The 2023 Adelaide International 1 is a tennis tournament being played in Australia.
Other Sports News:
- Indian squash prodigy Anahat Singh clinched the girls’ Under-15 squash title at the most prestigious British Junior Open tournament in Birmingham, in January 2023.
- The ‘Ekalabya Puraskar’ for the year 2022 was presented to cyclist Swasti Singh on 24 December 2022.
- Indian swimmer Chahat Arora set a national record in the women’s 100-metre breaststroke at the FINA World Swimming Championships 2022 in Melbourne, Australia on 14 Dec 2022.
- Men’s badminton world number one Viktor Axelsen won the men’s singles title after defeating Indonesian ace Anthony Ginting at the season-ending World Tour Finals in Bangkok on 11 December 2022.
- Indian swimmer Siva Sridhar broke the national record in the men’s 200m individual medley heats at the Short Course World Championships in Melbourne on 13 Dec 2022.
- Manu Bhaker bagged a gold medal in the 10-metre pistol junior women’s event at the National Shooting Championship in Bhopal.
4)Which of the following conducts “Nidhi Apke Nikat” on the 10th of every month in all field offices?
A. Life Insurance Corporation
B. National Securities Depository Limited
C. Food Corporation of India
D. Employees Provident Fund Organisation
The correct answer is Employees Provident Fund Organisation.
- The Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) conducts “Nidhi Apke Nikat” on the 10th of every month in all field offices.
- With this program, EPFO aims to expand its reach and attract more participation.
- Nidhi Aapke Nikat will not just address subscribers’ issues, but invite their suggestions and sensitise stakeholders about new initiatives.
- Bhavishya Nidhi Adalat had been a key grievance redressal mechanism.
- After wide-ranging consultations within the organisation, it has been decided to rechristen Bhavishya Nidhi Adalat as Nidhi Aapke Nikat.
- As the name would suggest, it’s an endeavour on the part of EPFO to be more accessible to different stakeholders, including employers.
- A common platform to facilitate exchange of ideas and dissemination of information, besides grievance redressal.
- It stands for Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation.
- It is the social security body that is responsible for running and supervising the largest mandatory state pension scheme for people in India.
- It was founded in 1952.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.
5) In January 2023, with which country has India signed a Memorandum of Understanding to enhance cooperation in the training of diplomats?
D. Dominican Republic
The correct answer is Panama.
- India and Panama have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to enhance cooperation in the training of diplomats.
- The agreement was signed on the sidelines of 17th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas in Indore.
- During the meet, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar, along with his Panama counterpart Janaina Tewane Mencomo, also discussed the opportunities for greater economic, health, finance and people-to-people linkages.
- Panama is a country on the Isthmus linking Central and South America.
- The Panama Canal cuts through its center, linking the Atlantic and Pacific oceans to create an essential shipping route.
- Capital – Panama City
- President: Laurentino Cortizo
- Currencies: United States Dollar, Panamanian Balboa
- Official language: Spanish
6)Who is the author of the book titled “Roller Coaster: An Affair with Banking?”
A. Shashi Tharoor
B. Sanjeev Sanyal
C. Tamal Bandyopadhyay
D. Aradhana Johri
The correct answer is Tamal Bandyopadhyay.
- “Roller Coaster: An Affair with Banking” book has been launched.
- The book is written by Journalist Tamal Bandyopadhyay.
- The book describes the lives of India’s commercial and central bankers.
- He is an award-winning author and columnist behind the weekly column “Banker’s Trust”.
- His other books: A Bank for the Buck, Sahara: The Untold Story
7)The Kilauea volcano again erupted on January 5, 2023. Where is Kilauea located?
The correct answer is Hawaii.
- After a brief pause, Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano erupted again.
- The eruption started on January 5, 2023 afternoon at the volcano’s crater.
- It last erupted in September 2021 and continued for 16 months before it took a pause in December 2022.
- The volcano Kilauea is among the most active ones on the planet.
- It is a shield volcano, which is a type of volcano composed of fluid lava and characterized by its vast lava flow.
- Hawaii is a chain of islands located in the North Pacific Ocean, and is the 50th state of the United States.
- It is the only U.S. state outside North America.
- Hawaii is made up of 5 volcanoes: Kohala (extinct), Mauna Kea (dormant), Hualalai (dormant), Kilauea(active) and Mauna Loa (active).
- Capital: Honolulu
- Official languages: English and Hawaiian
8)Which of the following is organizing Startup India Innovation Week from 10th to 16th January 2023?
A. Department of Economic Affairs
B. Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade
C. Department of Commerce
D. Department of Consumer Affairs
The correct answer is Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade.
- Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) is organizing Startup India Innovation Week from 10th to 16th January 2023.
- The purpose is to celebrate the Indian Startup Ecosystem and National Startup Day (16th January 2023).
- Startup India Innovation Week 2023 will involve Knowledge Sharing Sessions for entrepreneurs, aspiring entrepreneurs, and other enablers.
- Various startup-related events are being organized in more than 75 places across the country to foster a spirit of entrepreneurship and innovation.
- These events include dedicated workshops for women entrepreneurs, training of incubators, mentorship workshops, stakeholder round tables, conferences, capacity building workshops, startup pitching sessions, amongst others.
- Furthermore, DPIIT is organizing the felicitation ceremony for the winners of National Startup Awards 2022, a flagship initiative under Startup India.
- The ceremony will recognize and reward the excellence exhibited by startups and ecosystem enablers across different sectors, sub-sectors, and categories.
9)The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved lecanemab drug for the treatment of Alzheimer’s. The drug is developed by which of the following?
A. Eisai and Biogen
B. Eisai and Amgen
C. Amgen and Biogen
D. Biogen and Genentec
The correct answer is Eisai and Biogen.
- The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved lecanemab drug, developed by Eisai and Biogen, for the treatment of Alzheimer’s.
- It is 2nd drug to receive such approval.
- Lecanemab is a monoclonal antibody that targets amyloid beta protein.
- By binding to and neutralizing this protein, it aims to reduce the formation of amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary tangles in the brain.
- The FDA’s approval comes after clinical trial results published in November indicated that lecanemab slows cognitive decline somewhat in people with mild impairment due to Alzheimer’s disease.
- But the treatment also carries risks of brain swelling and bleeding.
- Eisai, which led the development of lecanemab, is pricing the treatment at $26,500 per year in the U.S.
- It will be sold under the name Leqembi.
10)With which of the following countries has India launched Young Professionals Scheme?
The correct answer is UK.
- The governments of India and the UK on January 9, 2023, launched the Young Professionals Scheme.
- The scheme allows up to 3,000 degree-holding citizens aged between 18 and 30 to live and work in each other’s countries for a period of 2 years.
- The scheme was announced in November 2022 at the G20 summit in Bali, is part of the India-UK Migration and Mobility MOU signed in May 2021.
- The scheme will run for a period of three years initially.
Young Indians and Britons would be able to travel to each other’s countries and either work, study, or visit, for two years.
The scheme allows for exchange visas for up to 3,000 individuals per year.
- Capital – London
- Currency – Pound sterling
- Prime Minister – Rishi Sunak
- National Sport – Cricket