Current Affairs: 15th JANUARY 2023
Odisha Regional Study Point
We Allow the best exam preparation for SSC, RAILWAY ,BANKING, OSSC COMBINED EXAM ,CT,BED,OTET, OSSTET,ASO,RI,AMIN, DECE(IGNOU) In ଓଡ଼ିଆ Language…
Welcome to the ODISHA REGIONAL STUDY POINT Current Affairs website which provides you with the best compilation of the Daily Current Affairs 2023 taking place across the globe: National, International, Sports, Science and Technology, Banking, Economy, Agreement, Appointments, Ranks and Report and General Studies. ORSP has been a fantastic buddy in assisting you in reaching your full potential in terms of knowledge and learning by providing you with the top academic information.
ORSP is one of the most popular Current Affairs website in India for UPSC, SSC, Banking / IBPS, IAS, NTSE, Railways, NDA, CDS, Judiciary, UPPSC, RPSC, BPSC, MPSC, MPPSC, and other state civil services / government job recruitment examinations in India.
Current Affairs is a major part of the exams like UPSC, UPSC CSE, IBPS, SBI, RBI, SSC, Railway, UPPSC, RPSC, BPSC, MPPSC, TNPSC, UKPSC, APPSC, MPSC etc. Many Govt job aspirants have benefited from our Current Affairs website now it’s your turn. This is the best current affairs site to find recent updates on Daily Current Affairs not only for competitive exams but also for interviews and updated with the latest information happening in nation and around the world.
Let us have a look at Today’s Questions:-
1)On 13 January 2023, the Union government announced to set up India’s first centre of excellence for online gaming in which state?
The correct answer is Meghalaya.
Union government announced, on 13 January 2023, to set up India’s first centre of excellence for online gaming in Shillong, Meghalaya.
- It is expected to catalyze startups from India’s Northeast to build the next-generation online gaming ecosystem.
- The Ministry of Electronics(MeitY) will also set up a state-of-the-art facility under the National Institute of Electronics and IT (NIELIT) in Shillong.
- A 10-acre campus shall soon be ready for this purpose which shall cater to the skilling requirement of youths in the northeast region.
- Chief Minister – Conrad K Sangma.
- Governor – Satya Pal Malik.
- Lok Sabha seats – 2.
- Rajya Sabha seats – 1.
- State Animal – Clouded leopard.
- State Bird – Common hill myna.
- National Parks – Balphakram National Park, Nokrek Ridge National Park.
2)Who is the author of the book “Irrfan Khan: A Life in Movies?
A. Shubhra Gupta
B. Aradhana Johri
C. Sanjeev Sanyal
D. Vikram Sampath
The correct answer is Shubhra Gupta.
- A Well known film critic and author, Shubhra Gupta announced her new book “Irrfan Khan: A Life in Movies” in January 2023.
- The book describes actor Irrfan Khan’s life and achievements, starting from his days at the prestigious National School of Drama (NSD) to his nearly decade-long stint in television and his gradual ascent in the film industry.
- The book will be released in March 2023.
3)Ronald E. Asher passed away in January 2023. In which year did he win a gold medal from Kerala Sahitya Akademi, Trichur?
The correct answer is 1983.
A British linguist and educator specializing in Dravidian languages, Ronald E. Asher passed away in January 2023.
- He won a gold medal from Kerala Sahitya Akademi, Trichur, in 1983 and was honored by the Royal Society, Edinburgh in 1991.
- His relationship with Kerala began during his days at the University of London.
- He was also a recipient of a medal from the College de France, Paris in 1970.
- Dr Tehemton E. Udwadia, an Indian Surgeon and Gastroenterologist, who was known as the ‘father of laparoscopic surgery in India’ passed away on 8 Jan’23.
- Renowned poet and Kashmir’s first Jnanpith awardee Professor Rehman Rahi passed away on 9 January 2023 Gianluca Vialli, the former Italy and Chelsea striker, has died aged 58.
- Former governor of Bengal and Bihar Keshari Nath Tripathi passed away on 8 January 2023.
- Walter Cunningham, the last surviving astronaut from the first successful crewed space mission in NASA’s Apollo program, died at the age of 90 on 3 January 2023.
4)Sonia Guajajara has been appointed as the first minister of the new Ministry of Indigenous People of which country in January 2022?
The correct answer is Brazil.
- Brazil’s President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva announced Sônia Guajajara as the first minister of the new Ministry of Indigenous People in January 2022.
- Sonia Guajajara is widely known as the leader of the main group of Brazil’s indigenous tribes and is a member of the Amazon Guajajara.
- She was also featured in Time Magazine’s annual list of the world’s 100 most influential people in 2022.
- Capital – Brasilia
- Currency – Brazilian real
- Capital – Jakarta
- Currency – Indonesian rupiah
- Capital – Tokyo
- Currency – Japanese yen
- Capital – Kuala Lumpur
- Currency – Malaysian Ringgit
5) Which bank launched e-Bank Guarantee (e-BG) facility in association with National eGovernance Services Limited (NeSL) on 12 January 2023?
A. Axis Bank
C. HDFC Bank
The correct answer is SBI.
- State Bank of India (SBI) launched e-Bank Guarantee (e-BG) facility in association with National e-Governance Services Limited (NeSL) on 12 January 2023.
- Currently, the bank issues these guarantees with physical stamping and wet signatures.
- The e-Bank Guarantee procedure will be made easier by NeSL’s Digital Document Execution (DDE) technology, which offers e-Stamp and e-Sign features.
- Beneficiaries using NeSL’s platform will instantly get an e-Bank Guarantee without additional verification.
- Founded – 1 July 1955
- Chairperson – Dinesh Kumar Khara
- Headquarters – Mumbai
6)In January 2023, which of the following has sold shares of Paytm worth $ 125 mn, or about Rs 1,125 cr, through a bulk deal?
C. Ant Financial
The correct answer is Ant Financial.
- Ant Financial, a company of Alibaba Group, has sold shares of Paytm worth $ 125 mn, or about Rs 1,125 cr, through a bulk deal on 12 January 2023.
- Block deal refers to a trade in which 5 lakh shares or shares of a particular company listed on the exchange are traded for a value of more than Rs 5 cr.
- Block deals can only be conducted during a particular trading window in the opening trading hours.
- Ant Group, formerly known as Ant Financial, is an affiliate company of the Chinese conglomerate Alibaba Group.
- The group owns the world’s largest mobile payment platform Alipay.
- Headquarters: Hangzhou, China
- Founder: Jack Ma
- Founded: 16 October 2014
7)Who has become the first woman officer of the Border Roads Organization (BRO) to be posted on a foreign project in January 2023?
A. Punita Arora
B. Mitali Madhumita
C. Surabhi Jakhmola
D. Priya Semwal
The correct answer is Surabhi Jakhmola.
- Captain Surabhi Jakhmola, an officer of the 117 Engineer Regiment of the Indian Army, has become the first woman officer of the Border Roads Organization (BRO) to be posted on a foreign project in January 2023.
- She has been deployed by BRO under Project Dantak in Bhutan.
In order to improve border connectivity, BRO was transferred entirely to the ministry of defence in 2015.
Persons in News:
- France team captain Hugo Lloris announced his retirement from international football at the age of 36 on 9 January 2023.
- Gareth Bale announced his retirement from professional football on 9 January 2023.
- Indian-origin Manpreet Monica Singh became the first female Sikh judge in the US in January 2023.
- Nityanand Rai will head a committee formed by Home Ministry to discuss land and employment safeguards for Ladakh.
- Vinay Coletti, head of WhatsApp’s India payment business, has quit the firm within four months in the role.
8) Which of the following has developed India’s first 5G-enabled drone named Skyhawk, capable of vertical take-off and landing on 11 January 2023?
A. Paras Aerospace
B. IG Drones
C. Dhaksha Unmanned System
D. General Aeronautics
The correct answer is IG Drones.
- Tech startup firm IG Drones has developed India’s first 5G-enabled drone capable of vertical take-off and landing on 11 January 2023.
- This drone has been named Skyhawk and can be used in other areas apart from defence and medicine.
- It can fly for about five hours with a payload of 10 kg, which is also equipped with capabilities like artificial intelligence and thermal imaging.
- This drone has been named Skyhawk and can be used in other areas apart from defence and medicine.
- As it’s a VTOL (Vertical Take-off and Landing), it can be operated from any terrain without the need for a conventional runway.
- With the addition of Artificial intelligence and thermal imaging capabilities, drones can be used in monitoring border intrusion and also during regular patrolling by the defence forces.
- It is IP67 rated and can be controlled via a combination of NavIC + GPS navigational satellites which remain connected in the upper range of 50 to 60 in case of failsafe activation.
9)Which country declared the end of the Ebola disease outbreak caused by the Sudan ebolavirus on January 11, 2023?
The correct answer is Uganda.
- In a statement released by the World Health Organization (WHO) Uganda declared the end of the Ebola disease outbreak caused by the Sudan ebolavirus on January 11, 2023.
- Ebola hemorrhagic fever is a rare, severe, and fatal disease in humans.
The Ebola virus was first discovered in 1976 near the Ebola River in the Congo.
- The virus is transmitted from wild animals to people.
- Capital – Kampala
- Currency – Ugandan shilling
- Capital – Accra
- Currency – Ghanaian cedi
- Capital – Dodoma
- Currency – Tanzanian shilling
- Capital – Addis Ababa
- Currency – Ethiopian birr
10)In January 2023, how many Indian peacekeepers serving in the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) were awarded the prestigious United Nations Medal for their exceptional service?
The correct answer is 1,171.
- Over 1,000 (1,171) Indian peacekeepers serving in the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) were awarded, in January 2023, the prestigious United Nations Medal for their exceptional service.
- For the first time, a woman officer of the Indian Army, Major Jasmine Chatha, led the parade of the Indian contingent.
- India is one of the largest troop-contributing countries to UN peacekeeping missions.
- The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) is a United Nations peacekeeping mission for South Sudan, which became independent on 9 July 2011.
- UNMISS was established on 8 July 2011 by United Nations Security Council Resolution 1996 (2011).
- It is headquartered in the South Sudanese capital of Juba.