Current Affairs: 18th JANUARY 2023
Odisha Regional Study Point
We Allow the best exam preparation for SSC, RAILWAY ,BANKING, OSSC COMBINED EXAM ,CT,BED,OTET, OSSTET,ASO,RI,AMIN, DECE(IGNOU) In ଓଡ଼ିଆ Language…
Welcome to the ODISHA REGIONAL STUDY POINT Current Affairs website which provides you with the best compilation of the Daily Current Affairs 2023 taking place across the globe: National, International, Sports, Science and Technology, Banking, Economy, Agreement, Appointments, Ranks and Report and General Studies. ORSP has been a fantastic buddy in assisting you in reaching your full potential in terms of knowledge and learning by providing you with the top academic information.
ORSP is one of the most popular Current Affairs website in India for UPSC, SSC, Banking / IBPS, IAS, NTSE, Railways, NDA, CDS, Judiciary, UPPSC, RPSC, BPSC, MPSC, MPPSC, and other state civil services / government job recruitment examinations in India.
Current Affairs is a major part of the exams like UPSC, UPSC CSE, IBPS, SBI, RBI, SSC, Railway, UPPSC, RPSC, BPSC, MPPSC, TNPSC, UKPSC, APPSC, MPSC etc. Many Govt job aspirants have benefited from our Current Affairs website now it’s your turn. This is the best current affairs site to find recent updates on Daily Current Affairs not only for competitive exams but also for interviews and updated with the latest information happening in nation and around the world.
Let us have a look at Today’s Questions:-
1)Mukarram Jah Bahadur passed away in Turkey on 14 January 2023. He was the ________ Nizam of Hyderabad.
The correct answer is 8th.
- The last Nizam of Hyderabad Mukarram Jah Bahadur passed away in Turkey on 14 January 2023.
- He was the 8th Nizam of Hyderabad.
- His father Azam Jah was Nizam Mir Osman Ali Khan’s oldest son.
- His mother, Durrushehvar, was the lone child of Abdul Majid, the final Caliph of Islam who was exiled by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk when the Caliphate was abolished.
- Hyderabad united with India on September 18, 1948.
- Mukarram Jah became Nizam VIII after the inauguration ceremony on April 6, 1967, much after the dominion was merged with India.
- Ray Cordeiro, who interviewed music acts on Hong Kong radio and earned him the title of the world’s longest-working disc jockey, passed away on 15 January 2023.
- Lisa Marie Presley, a musician and the only daughter of rock ‘n’ roll legend Elvis Presley passed away on 12 January 2023.
- Renowned poet and Kashmir’s first Jnanpith awardee Professor Rehman Rahi passed away on 9 January 2023 Gianluca Vialli, the former Italy and Chelsea striker, has died aged 58.
- Former governor of Bengal and Bihar Keshari Nath Tripathi passed away on 8 January 2023
2)As per an RBI report, the gross fiscal deficit of states is budgeted to narrow to how much percent of gross domestic product (GDP) in 2022-23 from 4.1% in 2020-21?
The correct answer is 3.4%.
- As per an RBI report, gross fiscal deficit of states is budgeted to narrow to 3.4% of gross domestic product (GDP) in 2022-23 from 4.1% in 2020-21.
- The reason behind this is broad-based economic recovery and higher revenue collections.
- While states’ debt is budgeted to ease to 29.5% of GDP in 2022-23 as against 31.1% in 2020-21, it is still higher than 20% recommended by FRBM Review Committee.
- States’ capital outlay-GDP ratio is likely to improve from 2.3 percent in 2021-22 (provisional account) to 2.9 percent in 2022-23 (budget estimate).
- It further said during 2022-23 so far (up to end-December, 2022), the state’s net market borrowing was Rs 3.02 lakh crore.
- They are expected to raise Rs 3.41 lakh crore (gross) during January – March 2023.
- Governor – Shaktikanta Das.
- Headquarters – Mumbai.
- Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata.
- The Bank publishes two statutory reports, the Annual Report of the Bank and the Report on Trend and Progress of Banking in India.
- It also publishes Financial Stability Report.
3)Who launched the MAARG portal for startup mentorship on 16 January 2023?
A. Piyush Goyal
B. Ashwini Vaishnaw
C. Nitin Gadkari
D. Dharmendra Pradhan
The correct answer is Piyush Goyal.
- Piyush Goyal launched the MAARG portal for startup mentorship on 16 January 2023.
- The MAARG platform (Mentorship, Advisory, Assistance, Resilience, and Growth), will facilitate mentorship between startups and entrepreneurs across sectors, stages, and functions.
- It will allow startups to connect with mentors and discuss their mentorship needs.
- The objective is to provide guidance and support to startups throughout their life cycle.
- It aims to improve the efficiency, effectiveness, productivity, transparency and integrity of systems and processes.
- The MAARG portal would help focus, refine and fine-tune ideas.
4)Which of the following has bagged the media rights for the Women’s Indian Premier League (WIPL) for the period of 2023-2027?
B. Eros International
C. Viacom18 Media
The correct answer is Viacom18 Media.
- Viacom18 Media has bagged the media rights for Women’s Indian Premier League (WIPL) for the period of 2023-2027.
- Disney+ Hotstar, Sony-Zee and Viacom18 were the frontrunners in the race.
WIPL is going to start from March-April 2023.
- Viacom18 gets this deal at Rs 7.09 crore per match.
- It is worth noting that per match value of Indian Premier League (IPL) is Rs 107.5 crore.
- BCCI shall pay the franchisees 80% share of Central Rights income in the first five years, 60% in next five years and 50 per cent post that.
- The Network 18-owned media house has also secured digital rights to the ongoing SA20 League in South Africa.
5) Which of the following won their 14th Spanish Super Cup title?
A. Real Madrid
C. Manchester United
The correct answer is Barcelona.
- Barcelona beat Real Madrid 3-1 to win their 14th Spanish Super Cup title.
- The cup was held in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Barcelona has won the Supercup for the first time since 2018 and for the 14th time overall.
- Real Madrid has won the Supercup 12 times so far.
- Spanish Super Cup is a super cup tournament in Spanish football.
- This competition is being played since 1982.
Other Sports News:
- Falak Mumtaz, an 11-year-old girl from Jammu and Kashmir has bagged a gold medal in the 23rd National Sqay Championship in January 2023.
- Indian squash prodigy Anahat Singh clinched the girls’ Under-15 squash title at the most prestigious British Junior Open tournament in Birmingham, in January 2023.
- Men’s badminton world number one Viktor Axelsen won the men’s singles title after defeating Indonesian ace Anthony Ginting at the season-ending World Tour Finals in Bangkok on 11 December 2022.
- Indian swimmer Siva Sridhar broke the national record in the men’s 200m
individual medley heats at the Short Course World Championships in Melbourne on 13 Dec 2022.
- Manu Bhaker bagged a gold medal in the 10-metre pistol junior women’s event at the National Shooting Championship in Bhopal.
6)Warehousing Development Regulatory Authority (WDRA) signed an MoU with which bank to help farmers in getting low-interest-rate loans on January 16, 2023?
B. Axis Bank
C. ICICI Bank
D. State Bank of India
The correct answer is State Bank of India.
- Warehousing Development Regulatory Authority (WDRA) signed an MoU with State Bank of India to help farmers in getting low interest-rate loans on Jan 16, 2023.
- The MoU was signed with the intent of promoting awareness about the new loan product called ‘Produce Marketing Loan’ to exclusively fund against e-NWRs (electronic Negotiable Warehouse Receipt).
- It will help in preventing distress sales and releasing better prices for the produce.
- Axis Bank has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru to establish a Centre for Mathematics and Computing at the IISc Institute.
- General Atomic Aeronautical Systems Inc. (GA-ASI) and Bharat Forge Limited announced a partnership in January 2023, to manufacture main landing gear components, subassemblies, and assemblies of remotely piloted aircraft.
- Hindustan Copper (HCL) has signed an MoU with the Indian Institute of
Technology (Indian School of Mines), Dhanbad for a collaborative and sponsored research project.
- Founded – 1 July 1955
- Chairperson – Dinesh Kumar Khara
- Headquarters – Mumbai
7)Which of the following has become the first constitution-literate district in India?
The correct answer is Kollam.
- Kerala’s Kollam has become the first constitution-literate district in India.
- This achievement is the result of a 7-month-long constitutional literacy campaign.
- It was launched jointly by the Kollam Administration and Kerala Institute of Local Administration to create awareness about the laws of the country and the rights of citizens Under this campaign, more than 7 lakh families of the district are being educated on the basic principles of the Constitution.
- Chief Minister – Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor – Arif Mohammad Khan
- State Animal – Indian elephant.
- State Bird – Great hornbill.
- National Park: Anamudi Shola National Park, Eravikulam National Park,
Mathikettan Shola National Park, Pambadum Shola National Park, Periyar National Park 1982, Silent Valley National Park.
- Dams: Idukki Dam (Periyar river), Mullaperiyar masonry gravity dam (Periyar rive), Pazhassi Dam or Kulur Barrage (Valapattanam river).
- Registered GI: Aranmula Kannadi, Palakkadan Matta Rice, Balaramapuram Saris and Fine Cotton Fabrics.
8) The 1st Health Working Group meeting under G-20 India Presidency will be held from 18-20 January 2023 in which state?
The correct answer is Kerala.
- The 1st Health Working Group meeting under G-20 India Presidency will be held from the 18-20 Jan 2023 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- Three priorities under health for India in its G20 presidency are:
- Priority I: Health Emergencies Prevention, Preparedness and Response.
- Priority II: Strengthening cooperation in the pharmaceutical sector
- Priority III: Digital health innovation and solutions
- The Health Track of the G-20 India Presidency will comprise four Health Working Group (HWG) Meetings and one Health Ministerial Meeting (HMM).
- The meetings will be held in different locations across the country including
- Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala), Goa, Hyderabad (Telangana) and Gandhinagar (Gujarat).
- India plans to host a side event along with each HWG meeting to enrich, supplement and support G-20 discussions.
9)15th India-UK Foreign Office Consultations (FOC) were held in which city?
B. New Delhi
The correct answer is New Delhi.
- 15th India-UK Foreign Office Consultations (FOC) were held in New Delhi on January 16, 2023.
- India and the UK shared a Comprehensive Strategic Partnership, with the adoption of Roadmap 2030 for Future Relations.
- They discussed issues like trade and economic cooperation, defence and security etc.
- Both sides agreed to maintain regular exchanges at political and senior official levels and hold the next FOC in London in 2024.
- The FOC provided an opportunity to review the progress made in the implementation of Roadmap 2030 despite the restrictions imposed by the COVID-pandemic.
- India and the UK exchanged views on regional and global issues of mutual interest, including – Afghanistan, Ukraine, the Indo-Pacific, the Commonwealth and the United Nations.
- The Indian delegation was led by Foreign Secretary of Ministry of External Affairs Vinay Mohan Kwatra and the British side was led by Sir Philip Barton, Permanent UnderSecretary, Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.
10)In January 2023, United Nations Security Council (UNSC) listed whom as a global terrorist?
A. Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi
B. Abdul Rauf Azhar
C. Abdul Rehman Makki
D. Abdullah Yusuf Azzam
The correct answer is Abdul Rehman Makki.
- United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has listed Abdul Rehman Makki as a global terrorist.
- The development comes after India, in 2022 slammed China after it blocked the proposal to list Makki under the Sanctions Committee.
- Makki has been involved in planning attacks in India.
- He has already been listed as a terrorist by India and the United States.
- The United Nations Security Council is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations.
- It is charged with ensuring international peace and security, recommending the admission of new UN members to the General Assembly, and approving any changes to the UN Charter.
- Headquarters: New York, New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945