Current Affairs: 17th January 2023
Current Affairs: 17th JANUARY 2023
Odisha Regional Study Point
We Allow the best exam preparation for SSC, RAILWAY ,BANKING, OSSC COMBINED EXAM ,CT,BED,OTET, OSSTET,ASO,RI,AMIN, DECE(IGNOU) In ଓଡ଼ିଆ Language…
Welcome to the ODISHA REGIONAL STUDY POINT Current Affairs website which provides you with the best compilation of the Daily Current Affairs 2023 taking place across the globe: National, International, Sports, Science and Technology, Banking, Economy, Agreement, Appointments, Ranks and Report and General Studies. ORSP has been a fantastic buddy in assisting you in reaching your full potential in terms of knowledge and learning by providing you with the top academic information.
ORSP is one of the most popular Current Affairs website in India for UPSC, SSC, Banking / IBPS, IAS, NTSE, Railways, NDA, CDS, Judiciary, UPPSC, RPSC, BPSC, MPSC, MPPSC, and other state civil services / government job recruitment examinations in India.
Current Affairs is a major part of the exams like UPSC, UPSC CSE, IBPS, SBI, RBI, SSC, Railway, UPPSC, RPSC, BPSC, MPPSC, TNPSC, UKPSC, APPSC, MPSC etc. Many Govt job aspirants have benefited from our Current Affairs website now it’s your turn. This is the best current affairs site to find recent updates on Daily Current Affairs not only for competitive exams but also for interviews and updated with the latest information happening in nation and around the world.
Let us have a look at Today’s Questions:-
1)Jallikattu celebrations began in which state on 14 January 2023?
C. Tamil Nadu
The correct answer is Tamil Nadu.
- Jallikattu celebrations began in Tamil Nadu on 14 January 2023.
- It is a popular bull-taming sport practised in the state of Tamil Nadu.
- It is also known as ‘Eru Thazhuvuthal’ or ‘Mancuvirattu.’
- It is practised as a part of Pongal celebrations on the day of Mattu Pongal.
- It is a sport where a bull is let loose among a crowd, and people participating are supposed to take control of the bull by holding on to its hump for as long as they can.
- Chief Minister – M.K. Stalin.
- Governor – RN Ravi.
- Lok Sabha seats – 39.
- Rajya Sabha seats – 18.
- State Animal – Nilgiri tahr.
- State Bird – Common emerald dove.
- National Parks – Guindy National Park, Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) National Park, Mudumalai National Park, Mukurthi National Park.
2)Think 20′ meeting under G20 began in which city on 16 January 2023?
B. New Delhi
The correct answer is Bhopal.
- ‘Think 20’ meeting under G20 began in Bhopal on 16 January 2023.
- The meeting will be attended by 94 representatives from different countries, besides intellectuals and officials from India.
- During the meeting, experts and foreign guests will discuss various topics including ‘Global Governance with LiFE, Values, and Wellbeing’.
- The G20, or Group of 20, is an intergovernmental forum of the world’s major developed and developing economies.
- There will be 10 parallel sessions on the first day on various topics including
institutional framework, investing in children as an investment in future, financing resilient cities and societies, economic systems transformation and one health wellness and traditional medicine.
- The guests from India and abroad will also visit the Tribal Museum in Bhopal.
- The G20 or Group of Twenty is an intergovernmental forum comprising 19 countries and the European Union (EU).
- It works to address major issues related to the global economy, such as international financial stability, climate change mitigation, and sustainable development.
- The G20 was founded in 1999 in response to several world economic crises.
Members of G-20:
3. Saudi Arabia
4. United States
7. South Africa
15. United Kingdom
3)Who has been appointed as the new Chief Economist of Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), in January 2023?
A. Peter Maurer
B. Clare Lombardelli
C. Laurence Boone
D. António Guterres
The correct answer is Clare Lombardelli.
- UK’s Clare Lombardelli has been appointed as the new Chief Economist
of Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
- She is currently UK Treasury’s chief economic adviser.
- Lombardelli has 20 years of experience in economic analysis.
- She will lead the OECD’s economic work, replacing France’s Laurence Boone, who has held the post since 2018.
- Meta announced the appointment of former Tata CLiQ CEO Vikas Purohit as the director of a global business group in India in January 2023.
- Dr Vinaya Prakash Singh will take over the charge of Secretary General of the Asian Pacific Postal Union for a tenure of four years.
- Ajay Kumar Srivastava has been elevated as Managing Director and CEO of
Indian Overseas Bank with effect from January 1, 2023, from his current posting as executive director.
- Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Director General Sujoy Lal Thaosen took the additional charge as Director General Border Security Force (BSF).
- The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development is an
intergovernmental organisation with 38 member countries, to stimulate economic progress and world trade.
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- Founded: 30 September 1961
- India is not a member.
4)When is National Startup Day observed?
A. 13 January
B. 14 January
C. 15 January
D. 16 January
The correct answer is 16 January.
- With a focus on promoting and encouraging upcoming businesses in the country, January 16 was adopted as the National Startup Day in 2022.
- On January 15, 2022, PM Modi first announced the adoption of the day.
- To celebrate this day, the Ministry of Commerce has organized Startup India Innovation Week from 10 to 16 January 2023.
- On this day, several events are being organised in more than 75 places.
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade is organizing the felicitation ceremony for the winners of the National Startup Awards 2022.
- The award ceremony, announced as a flagship initiative under Startup India aims to recognize and reward the excellence exhibited by startups and ecosystem enablers.
5) As per the annual inequality report released by ________, the richest 1% in India now own more than 40% of the country’s total wealth.
A. Amnesty International
C. Oxfam International
D. World Vision International
The correct answer is Oxfam International.
- As per Oxfam International, the richest 1% in India now own more than 40% of the country’s total wealth.
- The bottom half of the population of India together share just 3% of the wealth.
- Taxing India’s 10-richest at 5% can fetch entire money to bring children back to school.
- A one-off tax on unrealized gains from 2017–2021 on Gautam Adani would raise enough to employ 5 million Indian primary school teachers for a year.
- The richest 1% have bagged nearly twice as much wealth as the rest of the world population put together over the past two years.
- As per the report, billionaire fortunes are increasing by USD 2.7 bn a day.
- A tax of up to 5% on the rich could raise USD 1.7 trillion a year, enough to lift two billion people out of poverty.
- It is a group of independent non-governmental organisations formed in 1995.
- The name “Oxfam” comes from the Oxford Committee for Famine Relief, founded in Britain in 1942.
- Reports Published: Inequality Kills, Global Inequality Crisis Report.
6)Who won the Best Actor award at the Critics Choice Awards 2023 held in January 2023 in Los Angeles, US?
A. Arnold Vosloo
B. Brendan Fraser
C. John Hannah
D. Pauly Shore
The correct answer is Brendan Fraser.
- Critics Choice Awards 2023 were held on 15 January 2023, in Los Angeles, US.
- S.S. Rajamouli-directed RRR won 2 awards, one for Best Foreign Language Film and another for Best Song (Nattu Nattu).
- Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Best Actor: Brendan Fraser for “The Whale”
- Best Actress: Cate Blanchett for “Tár”
- Best Director: Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert for Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Best supporting actor: Ke Huy Quan for “Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Best supporting actress: Angela Bassett for “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
- Best young actor/actress: Gabriel LaBelle for “The Fabelmans”
- Best adapted screenplay: Sarah Polley, “Women Talking”
- Best Cinematography: Claudio Miranda for “Top Gun: Maverick”
7)As per data from Commerce Ministry, India’s WPI -based inflation eased to how much per cent in December 2022 from 5.85% in November on an annual basis?
The correct answer is 4.95%.
- As per data from Commerce Ministry, India’s WPI -based inflation eased to 4.95% in December 2022 from 5.85% in November on an annual basis.
- The inflation rate has slipped below 5% for the first time since February 2021.
- The inflation rate was 4.83 percent in February 2021.
- The decline in the rate of inflation in December 2022 is primarily contributed by the fall in prices of food articles, mineral oils, crude petroleum and natural gas, textiles and chemicals.
- The retail inflation in December eased to 5.72 percent, the lowest in a year.
- The inflation in primary articles was at 2.38 percent versus 0.52 percent in November.
- The month-over-month change in WPI for the month of December stood at (-)1.12 percent as compared to November 2022.
- The food articles inflation rate eased to 0.65 percent in December from 2.17 percent a month before.
- WPI measures the average change in prices of commodities at the wholesale level.
- Published by: Office of Economic Advisor (Ministry of Commerce).
- Base Year:2011-12
8) Ministry of Minority Affairs (MoMA) has discontinued the Padho Pardesh scheme. It was being implemented through which bank?
A. HDFC Bank
B. Bank of India
C. Axis Bank
D. Canara Bank
The correct answer is Canara Bank.
- Ministry of Minority Affairs (MoMA) has discontinued the Padho Pardesh scheme.
- The scheme provided interest subsidy on education loans for overseas studies for students belonging to minority communities.
- The objective was to provide opportunities for higher education at Master, M.Phil and PhD levels abroad and enhance their employability.
- It was being implemented through Canara Bank.
- The existing beneficiaries as on March 31, 2022, will continue to receive the interest subsidy during the moratorium period of the loan.
- Under the scheme, interest payable by the students availing education loans as prescribed under the Education Loan Scheme of the IBA for the period of
moratorium shall be borne by the Government of India.
- After the period of moratorium is over, the interest on the outstanding loan amount shall be paid by the student, in accordance with the existing Educational Loan Scheme.
- The candidate will bear the Principal instalments and interest beyond the moratorium period.
- A moratorium is a course period, plus one year or six months after getting a job, whichever is earlier.
9)148th Foundation Day of India Meteorological Department (IMD) was celebrated in which city on 15 January 2023?
C. New Delhi
The correct answer is New Delhi.
- 148th Foundation Day of India Meteorological Department (IMD) was celebrated on 15 Jan 2023 in New Delhi.
- On the occasion, Dr Jitendra Singh announced that the entire country will be covered by Doppler Weather Radar Network by 2025 to predict extreme weather events more accurately.
- Under Agro-Meteorological Services, it is targeted to establish 660 District Agro Meteorological Units (DAMUs) by 2025 and increase from 3,100 blocks in 2023 to 7,000 blocks in 2025.
- IMD is the chief government agency dealing in meteorology, seismology, and associated subjects.
- IMD was founded in 1875.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- IMD works under the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- IMD is one of the six Regional Centres of the World Meteorological Organisation.
10)As per a statement by Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh, the entire country will be covered by Doppler weather radar network by which year?
The correct answer is 2025.
- Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh on 15 January 2023 informed that by 2025, the entire country will be covered by Doppler weather radar network.
- The purpose is to predict extreme weather events more accurately.
- The number of Doppler radars in the country has increased from 15 in 2013 to 37 in 2023.
- India will set up 25 more radars in the next 2 to 3 years, taking the number to 62.
- Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated four Doppler weather radar systems in Jammu & Kashmir, Uttarakhand, and Himachal Pradesh as well as 200 agro-automated weather stations.
- The government plans to establish 660 district agro-meteorological units by 2025.
- IMD plans to upgrade the existing Doppler radars to eliminate uncertainties in rainfall estimates.
Please Log in Before Quiz (Log in Link is in Top Menu)