Current Affairs: 30th JANUARY 2023
Odisha Regional Study Point
We Allow the best exam preparation for SSC, RAILWAY ,BANKING, OSSC COMBINED EXAM ,CT,BED,OTET, OSSTET,ASO,RI,AMIN, DECE(IGNOU) In ଓଡ଼ିଆ Language…
Welcome to the ODISHA REGIONAL STUDY POINT Current Affairs website which provides you with the best compilation of the Daily Current Affairs 2023 taking place across the globe: National, International, Sports, Science and Technology, Banking, Economy, Agreement, Appointments, Ranks and Report and General Studies. ORSP has been a fantastic buddy in assisting you in reaching your full potential in terms of knowledge and learning by providing you with the top academic information.
ORSP is one of the most popular Current Affairs website in India for UPSC, SSC, Banking / IBPS, IAS, NTSE, Railways, NDA, CDS, Judiciary, UPPSC, RPSC, BPSC, MPSC, MPPSC, and other state civil services / government job recruitment examinations in India.
Current Affairs is a major part of the exams like UPSC, UPSC CSE, IBPS, SBI, RBI, SSC, Railway, UPPSC, RPSC, BPSC, MPPSC, TNPSC, UKPSC, APPSC, MPSC etc. Many Govt job aspirants have benefited from our Current Affairs website now it’s your turn. This is the best current affairs site to find recent updates on Daily Current Affairs not only for competitive exams but also for interviews and updated with the latest information happening in nation and around the world.
Let us have a look at Today’s Questions:-
1)Consider the following statements about Lala Lajpat Rai:
1. His birth anniversary is observed on 28th January.
2. He co-founded Punjab National Bank in 1894.
3. He founded the Servants of India Society in 1921.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
D. None of the above
The correct answer is 1,2.
- Lala Lajpat Rai’s birth anniversary is observed on 28th January.
- He was a prolific freedom fighter for India.
- He was born in 1865 in Punjab.
- He was also known as ‘Punjab Kesari’.
- Along with Bipin Chandra Pal and Bal Gangadhar Tilak, he formed Lal-Bal-Pal trio of extremist leaders.
- He founded Servants of People Society in 1921.
- Thus, statement 3 is incorrect.
- He co-founded Punjab National Bank in 1894.
- He was elected deputy leader of the Central Legislative Assembly in 1926.
- He died of a severe head injury after 18 days of trauma injuries during a baton charge by police in Lahore, when he led a peaceful protest march against the all-British Simon Commission Indian constitutional reforms.
His works include:
- The Story of My Deportation, 1908.
- The United States of America: A Hindu’s Impression, 1916.
- The problem of National Education in India, 1920 Unhappy India, 1928.
England’s Debt to India, 1917.
- Young India: An Interpretation and a History of the Nationalist Movement from Within.
- New York: B.W. Huebsch, 1916.
- He also wrote biographies of Mazzini, Garibaldi, Shivaji, and Shrikrishna.
2)On which day is Data Privacy Day celebrated globally every year?
A. 25 January
B. 26 January
C. 27 January
D. 28 January
The correct answer is 28 January.
- Data Privacy Day is celebrated globally on January 28 every year.
- The year 2023 is the 17th edition of the day.
- The celebration was initiated by the Council of Europe in 2006.
- 28 January was chosen, as this was the day on which the Council of Europe’s data protection convention-‘Convention 108’ was opened.
- Celebrations are aimed at raising awareness about the right to data protection.
- Theme 2023:Think Privacy First’
- This day raises one of the most important issues of the digitally advancing world.
- The main goal of the day is to educate people on data protection challenges and inform them about their rights to privacy and how to exercise them.
3)Which of the following launched the ‘She Feeds the World’ program in January 2023?
A. PepsiCo Foundation
C. Reliance Foundation
D. Both 1 and 2
The correct answer is Both 1 and 2.
- ‘She Feeds the World’ program has been launched by PepsiCo Foundation, the philanthropic arm of PepsiCo and CARE, in India.
- The aim of the programme is to strengthen the role of small-scale women producers through sustainable training and economic support.
- The Programme will be implemented in the Coochbehar and Alipurduar districts of West Bengal.
- This programme aims to improve the status of over 48,000 women.
- ‘She Feeds the World’ will drive impact for women farmers and their families across the three dimensions of a sustainable food system including economic, social and environmental.
- At the economic level, it will build capacity for small-scale farmers to improve their cultivation practices, increase yield, and diversify livelihood options to generate more sustainable income.
- Socially, the project will promote more equitable access to knowledge, resources and inclusive markets for vulnerable farmers.
- From an environmental perspective, the project will tackle soil, water, biodiversity and carbon footprint issues to minimise impact on the natural ecosystem.
- This is not the first time PepsiCo are associating with women farmers.
- In 2019, PepsiCo and the US Agency for International Development (USAID) launched the ‘Women Farmer Economic Empowerment Program’ to support women in agriculture and help build a more sustainable food system.
- Under this initiative, PepsiCo has trained close to 1,500 women farmers in West Bengal on potato agronomy and other skills.
- It is expected that the program will impact more than 3,00,000 women through direct and community engagement.
4)India and Egypt signed an MoU on which of the following signed for five years?
A. Cultural cooperation
B. Defence cooperation
C. Education Cooperation
D. Health cooperation
The correct answer is Cultural cooperation.
- India and Egypt signed an MoU on cultural cooperation signed for five years.
- MoU was signed by the Culture Minister of India, Shri G. Kishan Reddy and
the Foreign Minister of Egypt, Shri Sameh Hassan Shoukry.
- Under the aegis of the MoU, both countries will host cultural activities in the fields of music, dance, theatre, and literature, organising festivals in the respective countries, research and documentation etc.
- India and Egypt have also signed an MoU to facilitate content exchange, capacity building, and co-productions between public broadcasters.
- It was signed between Prasar Bharati and National Media Authority of Egypt.
- India and Egypt on 26 January 2023 decided to elevate their ties to the level of strategic partnership.
- Both decided to take the volume of bilateral trade to USD 12 billion in the next five years from around USD 7 billion at present.
- Capital – Cairo
- Currency – Egyptian pound
- Egypt is located in North Africa and is bordered by Mediterranean Sea, Sudan, Libya, and Israel.
- It is located on both African and Asian continent.
- The Asian part of Egypt is called Sinai Peninsula.
- Nile River is the longest river in Africa and runs through Egypt.
- Famous structures: Great Pyramid of Giza and the Sphinx.
- It is a presidential republic with a multi-party system.
5) India has issued a notice to Pakistan in view of Islamabad’s “intransigence” in the implementation of the pact, Meaning refusing to agree upon the treaty. It was signed in which year?
The correct answer is 1960.
- India has issued a notice to Pakistan in view of Islamabad’s “intransigence” in the implementation of the pact, Meaning refusing to agree upon the treaty.
- It was signed in 1960.
- World Bank brokered the treaty.
- As per IWT, the waters of Beas, Ravi, and Sutlej are controlled by India, and waters of Indus, Jhelum, and Chenab are controlled by Pakistan.
- All these rivers form the Indus Water system.
- The objective of the notice for modification is to provide Pakistan an opportunity to enter into intergovernmental negotiations within 90 days to rectify the material breach of IWT.
- India issued the notice in view of Pakistan’s “intransigence” on a solution to the differences over the Kishenganga and Ratle Hydro Electric Projects.
- The notice was sent as per provisions of Article XII (3) of IWT.
Indus River System:
- It is one of the world’s largest river basins.
- Indus river originates from Bokhar Chu- Near Manasarovar lake, Tibet.
- In India, Indus flows only through Leh district.
- Flows through: J&K- Indus, Jhelum, Chenab, and Rabi. Chenab, Rabi, Beas, and Satluj flow through Himachal Pradesh.
- Rabi, Beas, Satluj, and Chenab flow through Punjab.
- Headquarters – Washington, D.C., United States
- President – David Malpass
- Comprises of – The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development and The International Development Association
- It was established in 1944 as part of Bretton Woods Agreement.
6)United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has designated Odesa a World Heritage in Danger site. In which country is it situated?
B. Burkina Faso
The correct answer is Ukraine.
- UNESCO designated Ukraine’s Odesa a World Heritage in Danger site.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) designated Odesa as it faced danger from Russian air strikes.
- Odesa is a historic centre and strategic port city located on the Black Sea.
- Empress Catherine founded ODESA.
- She took away the region from the Ottoman Empire in 1794.
- Important Sites: Vorontsovskyi Palace is a beautiful Turkish Castle in Odesa.
- UNESCO’s World Heritage in Danger List:
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) compiles the list of World Heritage in Danger.
- World Heritage Sites face several problems such as development in tourism, war, natural disasters, poaching, urbanization, and pollution.
- To protect the sites from catastrophic damage, UNESCO designates them as
- At present, the list has 55 such sites.
- Capital – Kingston
- Currency – Jamaican dollar
- Capital – Ouagadougou
- Currency – West African CFA franc
- Capital – Asunción
- Currency – Paraguayan guaraní
- Capital – Kyiv
- Currency – Ukrainian Hryvnia
7)On 27 January 2023, Luminous Power Technologies announced its plan to build the country’s first green energy-based solar panel manufacturing factory in which state?
A. Uttar Pradesh
B. Himachal Pradesh
The correct answer is Uttarakhand.
- Luminous Power Technologies on 27 January 2023 announced its plan to build the country’s first green energy-based solar panel manufacturing factory in Uttarakhand.
- The plant, located in Rudrapur, is expected to be fully operational by the end of 2023.
- It will produce a range of solar panels with power output from 40W to 600W.
- It will help enable a solar generation capacity of 500 MW per annum.
- With the commencement of this factory, Luminous would establish its first facility in solar panels.
- This solar panel facility is fully robotic and will use 100 per cent energy from solar power.
- The annual production capacity of the facility will be equivalent to the carbon sequestration of planting one crore trees, making a major contribution to the reduction of CO2 emissions.
- Luminous Power Technologies provides innovative and sustainable energy solutions to meet the growing demand for clean energy in India.
- The company’s portfolio includes a wide range of solar products including solar panels, inverters, and energy storage systems.
- Chief Minister – Pushkar Singh Dhami
- Governor – Gurmit Singh
- Lok Sabha seats – 5
- Rajya Sabha seats – 3
- State Animal – Alpine musk deer
- State Bird – Himalayan monal
- Registered GI – Uttarakhand Tejpat
- National Parks – Corbett National Park, Gangotri National Park, Govind National Park, Nanda Devi National Park, Rajaji National Park, Valley of Flowers National Park
8)The 3rd INTERPOL Young Global Police Leaders Programme is being held in which city in January 2023?
A. New Delhi
The correct answer is New Delhi.
- The 3rd INTERPOL Young Global Police Leaders Programme is being held in New Delhi.
- The event is being organised by the Central Bureau of Investigation began from 25 January 2023 to 2 February 2023.
- This is a flagship INTERPOL leadership programme which brings together young police leaders holding vital assignments in their respective countries and helps them develop an international perspective and understanding.
- As many as 59 participants from 44 countries are taking part in the programme.
- Young Global Police Leaders Programme provides an inspirational platform for not only young police officers from across the world, but also for youth in general.
- This is a flagship INTERPOL leadership programme for promising young police officers.
- The International Criminal Police Organization is commonly known as
- Interpol is the world’s largest international police organization, with 195 member countries.
- It enables cross-border police cooperation.
- Established in 1923.
- Headquarters: Lyon, France.
- Secretary-General: Jürgen Stock
- President: Ahmed Naser Al-Raisi
- CBI is the premier investigating police agency in India.
- Established in 1963.
- Santhanam Committee on Prevention of Corruption recommended the
establishment of the CBI.
- It functions under the Department of Personnel of Government of India.
- It is not a statutory body; it derives its powers from the Delhi Special Police
- Establishment Act, 1946.
- It is nodal agency of Interpol in India.
9)The Chief Minister of which state announced unemployment allowance for youth from the financial year 2023-24 during the Republic day speech?
D. Madhya Pradesh
The correct answer is Chhattisgarh.
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel announced an unemployment allowance for youth from the financial year 2023-24 during the Republic day speech.
- Other specific details will be discussed before a detailed announcement.
- Other announcements :
- Ration card holders of Chhattisgarh will get rice for a year free of cost.
- Chhattisgarh State Innovation Commission will be constituted.
- Baghel made a number of other announcements, including setting up of an aerocity near Raipur airport, housing assistance scheme for labourers and a scheme to promote women entrepreneurship.
- Unemployed youth will be given an unemployment allowance every month from the next financial year (2023-24).
- Construction workers registered with the Chhattisgarh Building and Other
Construction Workers Welfare Board for a period of three years will be given a grant of Rs 50,000 for building houses.
- Chief Minister – Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor – Anusuiya Uikey
- Lok Sabha seats – 11
- Rajya Sabha seats – 5
- State Animal – Wild water buffalo
- State Bird – Common hill myna
- National Parks – Indravati (Kutru) National Park, Kanger Valley National Park, Guru Ghasi Das (Sanjay) National Park
- Dams – Gangrel Dam (Mahanadi River), Murrum Silli Dam (Sillari river), Dudhawa Dam (Mahanadi river), Hasdeo Bango Dam (Hasdeo river)
10)In January 2023, which state launched the first survey of migrants?
The correct answer is Jharkhand.
- Jharkhand launched the first survey of migrants.
- The survey is to be conducted of 11,000 households in 24 districts.
- The purpose of it is to create a robust database of migrants and migration patterns in the state.
- The survey outputs will be used to create a state-level policy.
- The survey will gather information about incoming migrants, outgoing migrants, quality of life of migrants, understanding the mindset of migrants, etc.
- Chief Minister – Hemant Soren.
- Governor – Ramesh Bais.
- Lok Sabha seats – 14.
- Rajya Sabha seats – 6.
- Registered GI – Sohrai-Khovar Painting
- National Parks – Hazaribagh National Park, Palamau National Park and Betla National Park